Every summer for the past 42 years, the Dewar family gathers on Spirit Lake in North Idaho. One of their traditions is to host a family cook off. Of course, Uncle Dan’s has been on hand each summer. Recently, they decided to add a spin and require that each recipe served during the cook off include Uncle Dan’s. They even invited the real Uncle Dan out to attend and be one of the judges.
The participants at this event were:
The Dewar Sisters:
Daughters and Daughter-in-law:
Uncle Dan's Chicken Chili -- Heather Davis
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, low sodium
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can corn, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes undrained, low sodium
- 1 package Uncle Dan's Original Southern Classic Ranch
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese
- 2 chicken breasts, frozen or fresh
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Place chicken at the bottom of the crockpot, then pour out the whole can of corn (undrained), Rotel tomatoes, and black beans on top of the chicken.
- Top with seasonings and Uncle Dan's dressing mix. Stir together.
- Place cream cheese block on top. Cover with lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- After the cooking time is over, take chicken breasts from the crockpot and shred and add back to the chili. Stir together and enjoy!
- Makes 4 servings.
🇺🇲 FREETO Corn Salad 🇺🇲 -- Lacey Hooton
- 2 (15.25 ounce) cans corn, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup prepared Uncle Dan's Original Southern Classic Ranch Dip (follow directions on package)
- 1-1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) bag of Chili Cheese Fritos
- Mix all ingredients except the Fritos.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Stir in Fritos until well blended when serving.
Uncle Dan’s Chex -- Tara Cochran
- 1 package Uncle Dan’s Original Southern Classic Ranch
- Drizzle olive oil
- At least 1 cup of each ingredient below:
- Cheese crackers
- Twisty pretzels
- Wheat Chex
- Rice Chex
- Any other mixed crackers you like
- Combine everything and spread on onto a baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes at 350°, taking time to toss flavor around and mix halfway through.
Whiskey Dan's Chicken Bites -- Nancy Crosby
Ingredients - Marinade:
- 1 package Uncle Dan's Original Dressing Classic Ranch
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 (4 ounce) chicken breasts, thawed
- Mix together in a zip lock bag.
- Add 4 (4 ounce) Chicken Breasts, pierced with a fork, then cut into bite-size pieces into the marinade.
- Marinade for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Place marinated chicken pieces on skewers and BBQ on medium heat for five minutes on each side or until internal temp is 160°.
Great with Uncle Dan's as a dipping sauce. Prepare as directed on the package. Optional to add 1 teaspoon whiskey.
It was fun creating a new recipe using Uncle Dan's. Like we said, our Mom had us grow up using it and now our kids use it.
Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Meatballs -- Sandra Nierenberg
Ingredients for meatballs:
- 24 meatballs ready made from the grocery store meat department
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 16 ounces of cream cheese, cubed
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced
- Splash of hot sauce
- 2 packages of Uncle Dans Original Southern Classic Ranch
Instructions for meatballs:
- Mix together mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, jalapeños, and hot sauce.
- Working one at a time gently flatten the meatball, place the mixture in the center, and then fold and roll into the meatball.
- Open both packages of Uncle Dans and spread them onto a plate.
- Roll each meatball in the dry dressing mix.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°.
- Place the meatballs on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 mins.
- Remove from the oven and let cool
Ingredients for sauce:
- 3 packages of brown gravy mix
- 2 cups of sour cream
- 1 package of Uncle Dans Original Southern Classic Ranch
- 2 tablespoons of orange marmalade
Instructions for sauce:
- In a saucepan mix the gravy packets as per directions on the package, add in sour cream, and the Uncle Dans Dressing mix from package.
- Simmer meatballs in a crockpot or large pot.
- Pour sauce over and warm.
Dewars DanDee Tater Salad -- Laura Cochran
- 1 package of Uncle Dan's Original Southern Classic Ranch
- 5 pounds of potatoes
- 8 hard boiled eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) package of bacon
- 1 cup of sweet white onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cup of dill pickles, chopped
- 2 cups of mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons of mustard
- 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika (optional)
- Prepare and add to large serving bowl:
- Boil potatoes, cool, peel (if preferred), and cut into bite-size chunks
- Boil eggs, cool, peel, and chop
- Cook bacon crispy and crumble
- Chop pickles and onions
Instructions - dressing:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, white wine vinegar, sugar, and Uncle Dan's Classic Ranch Seasoning.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the dressing mixture to the other ingredients. Gently stir to combine.
- Optional: Sprinkle with paprika as a garnish.
- Chill one to two hours before serving.
Susie’s Southern Sausage Biscuits and Gravy -- Sue Smith
- 1 pound of original Jimmy Dean sausage
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 package of Uncle Dan's Original Southern Classic Ranch
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup of 2% milk
- 3/4 cup of half and half
- 1 package of refrigerated buttermilk homestyle biscuits
- Brown and crumble sausage.
- Remove sausage from pan and reserve grease.
- Add to the grease: flour, Uncle Dan's Original Southern Classic Ranch, milk, half and half, black pepper, and cayenne.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to simmer and add back in the sausage.
- Cook Biscuits as directed on the package.
- Serve gravy over biscuits.
- Optional: top with chopped chives